Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Low Fat Cheese is a Commodity

After too long of a blog hiatus, I'm back. Back from spring break, which I spent in the lovely city that I live in, that I never get to spend time in. Ever pass a store or restaurant 100 times and never even peak in?! I had a very dear friend of mine, Rachel, come visit me all the way from London, so I had a great excuse to explore the city and just hang out.

Whenever Rachel comes to town, I love probing her with questions about English culture and politics, and we have great conversation. Since we had such a great week, I thought I'd share some of the fun things we ate.

Last year when Rachel came to visit, I brought her to one of my favorite restaurants in all of New York City, Otto Enoteca Pizzeria & Restaurant.


(pic from www.ottopizzaria.com)

Needless to say, she jumped off the plane and wanted to head right to Otto! Located right above beautiful Washington Square Park, Otto is owned by celebrity chef and one of my favorite Food Network rock stars, Mario Batali. Otto is not a restaurant for the non-wine lovers crowd, mainly because the food menu is 1/4 of the wine menu. I've never had anything off the food menu (or wine for that matter) that was less amazing, but one of my favorite things to do at Otto is to go with a few friends and order a nice bottle of wine and a cheese plate:



This is a cheese plate with a goat cheese and two other cheeses that had fancy names that I don't remember, but all were incredible. Each cheese plate (you can order them in 3 cheese, 5 cheese and 7 cheese platters) comes with crusty bread and three exquisite dipping sauces that have matched every cheese I have ever tried (and let's just say, I'm quite a veteran Otto cheese plate-er). The sauces are honey with truffles, white wine with apricots and brandy with cherries. I highly recommend a wine and cheese plate any time of the day. If you're not a seasoned cheese picker, ask your waiter. I have never been steered wrong! I always choose my wine at Otto based on price (umm yea, I'm graduating in 7 weeks), but I'm not too picky. I've never met a wine I didn't love. Visit to see the rest of the menu. They are very accommodating and it's a great place to have a large group or it's def intimate enough for a date or a night out with a few friends.

In discussing cheese, I love hanging out with Rachel, for the pure conversation fun of making fun of each other's accents and talking about things we have here and that she has in England. One thing that rocked Rach's world was the low fat cheese selection in my refrigerator. And..international food fact of the week, tator tots and chocolate chips are also two foods not found in such abundance in the UK. Who knew!? A world with limited low fat cheese, tots and chocolate chips?? EK! So, if anyone is going to London in the next few months, holler at me for Rachel's contact so you can bring her and her family some more chocolate chips!!

I'm going to feature a lunch time snack I made last week which was a big hit as my RECIPE OF THE WEEK!

'Make it in the Bowl' Italian Bread Salad



4 Servings*

4 cups of cubed, stale, whole wheat baguette or crusty bread
2 packages of cherry tomatoes
10-15 basil leaves
8 oz of Mozzerella Cheese
4 tablespoons Olive Oil
1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar

To taste:
Oregano
Salt and Pepper

*Prepare this salad 30-60 minutes before serving

Grab the serving bowl of your choice, preferably the one you usually use for a big salad. Cube the bread (the smaller the pieces, the better) and throw the cubes in the bowl. Slice the cherry tomatoes once down the center and throw them in the bowl too. Rip the basil leaves a few times (you can chop the leaves, but it's not necessary), throw them in. Cut or grate the mozzerella to your liking and toss that in along with oregano, salt and pepper to your liking. Pour the olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the salad mixture and toss. Make sure you toss the salad so that the bread cubes are in position to grab most of the moisture from the tomatoes, oil and vinegar. The salad needs to be prepared 30-60 minutes before serving so that the flavors can blend and the oil and vinegar can be absorbed by the bread.

(recipe improvised from 'bread salad' recipe from )

Vegan friends, omit the cheese! And Voila! A great apetizer or side dish for your meal! Easy, inexpensive and only one dirty bowl!!

All this talk about cheese, salad, chocolate chips and tots has my mouth watering after a busy day of not too much eating. So, fellow friends and foodies, have a great week!

Peace, love and good food,
Jeanette
xx

8 comments:

Cara said...

Did Mario really serve you cheese on that plate? It's a disgrace. I have those in my kitchen. That dish is so sad looking. No garnish? Oh, Mario.

sAvVy SPENDER said...

Man, I am hungry after reading this!!! I want to go to Otto right now! Like you said, I have passed by Otto like so many other charming little places and have never had the time or chance to peak inside. It looks so inviting from the outside and I will for sure have to plan a visit there now. You can't go wrong with cheese and wine! It's a killer combo!

istyle team said...

Otto sounds fabulous! I'm going to have to check it out! Wine and cheese are two of my favorite things!!

Jeanette said...

cara- i apologize in the name of mario. his plain serving styles are def overlooked by his wonderful food.

savv and lizzy- i looooove OTTO!! do go and let me know how you like it!

Bianca the Food Guru said...

The fact that you talked about the restaurant Otto is so amazing that i'm going there this thursday. i heart mario batali. The cheese plate looks great, how is the range in bottle prices?

Jeanette said...

bianca- i know it was funny that you just mentioned that about otto!

bottles range from $22 for the cheapest (which there is nothing wrong with!) to infinity (pretty much). like 3 g bottles of wine! ridic i know.

Unknown said...

Otto seems like an awesome place to check out- unfourtunately i have no taste for cheese at all but i do adore wine!

Unknown said...

"cheese picker"? Is that a technical term? :)

From what you've told me, I also expected the cheese plate to look MUCH more exciting.