Monday, February 19, 2007

An Ode to College Cuisine.

While eating and chatting with friends this president's day weekend at Penn State University, I decided to dedicate this post to dining and cuisine at a place very different from NYC, at a state university. Follow me on my weekend food journey from the Happy Valley!

This is The Waffle Shop:



Heaven in the Happy Valley. This place is pretty much the only motivation for a hungover college student to get out of bed on a Saturday or Sunday before 3 pm, its closing time. I've visited Penn State three times, and there hasn't been one day NOT started at The Waffle Shop. With three locations in State College and at least a 20 minute wait at the door at each, you instantly know this place is a hit. I joke with my friend that Waffle Shop is the only reason I go see him (juuust kidding ;).

I always get overwhelmed when ordering brunch. Which way to go? Sweet or Savory? Protein or Carbs? Lots or Little? Brunch is, of course, the most important meal of life..so careful decision making is necessary. This weekend (I was in State College for three days, so I obv went three times), I tried 2 different omelets, the greek and the villager (broccoli and cheddar...yumm), 2 different pancakes (regular and choc chip..more yummm), and lots of toast and home fries. I've never really hated a home fry that I've eaten, but The Waffle Shop def has some of the best. They are a side order of red skinned goodness.

This is inside the University Creamery at Penn State:



Their homemade ice creams are made with fresh milk from cows on campus! How fun and productive is that?!

Here are my friends eating their ice cream:



On the left, Peachy Paterno, named after the beloved Penn State Football coach, Joe Paterno. On the right, Chocolate Coconut. Two thumbs up for both (obv).
...and any school that sells their own cheese (also made with the milk from cows on campus) automatically deserves my respect!



All dairy aside, we somehow managed to exhaust ourselves to the point of not being able to leave the apt on Saturday for dinner, so this is what we conjured up from a kitchen in an apartment inhabited by three men:



On the upper left, Velveeta Mac and Cheese. The upper right, Penne with Tomato Sauce. Bottom, Jeanette's Cheesy Eggs (Eggs, Milk, and cheese...made special by adding my name to the front ;) Delish Meal. Not sooo healthy, but we worked with what we had.

Overall, I had a great weekend, foodwise and others. Stay tuned for the recipe of the week (please hold all cheers, glittery bits and applause for the next post!)

xo
-J

11 comments:

Beams said...

I love Penn State Ice Cream! Peachy Paterno is the best! It's about time that someone gave the award winning cuisine of Happy Valley the journalistic exposure that it deserves! GO PENN STATE!

Jeanette said...

Thank you! For housing us and introducing us to the wonderful food in the happy valley. We are (well not me, but i like to pretend when i'm there) penn state!

MK said...

As a college student, I am very impressed that you were able to create such a nice meal for your dinner. But you haven't lived until you've had Maryland Crabs! :)

Jeanette said...

i promise to come visit you in MD and profile some good foodies there :) xoxo

Lexie said...

As a fellow college student, I have to admit that Mac and Cheese is one of my mealtime staples. The Velveeta kind is delicious, but I prefer homemade or Trader Joe's All Natural Wisconsin Cheese Mac and Cheese myself.

This post made me hungry! I love the pictures.

Cara said...

You really should have titled your post "an ode to dairy products". Cheese, ice cream, mac n cheese... you got them all!

Jeanette said...

I was in the middle of Pennsyltucky. all they have is dairy!!!

Lynne said...

hi jeannette. morgan's friend lynne here. good luck with your blog! looks great. if you come to boston and want a food tour, i'd be happy to take you around. you can e-mail me at lynne@rival-marketing.com

Unknown said...

Dear Jeanette,

Nice post. Lay off the dairy.

Love,
The Cows

Jeanette said...

lynne- thanks! i'm actually planning a boston trip in march, so ill keep in touch!!

connie-
dear connie,

you stopped consuming dairy so jeanette needed to pick up the slack.

love, the cows again.

R said...

stumbled across this whilst pretending to write a paper.... do you have any idea how much i know fancy mac and cheese (i used fancy just for you!)!!! i'm craving!